Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"I Had Fun in the Library!"

     The title of this post is the most exciting sentence I've heard since school started on September 3, 2013.

     An AVID teacher in my high school asked that I provide a library tour and a database lesson for her sophomore students.  I used an idea from the wonderful librarian Nikki D Robertson (http://www.nikkidrobertson.com) and created a library scavenger hunt with clue cards.  One of the cards asked the students to find the fiction section of the library and use between three to ten books to create a book spine poem.

     The kids, no matter what the clue card asked them to do, were engaged and worked nicely together.  I was so proud of them and so very excited that the lesson was working out so well.

     Later in the day, one of the young ladies from the AVID class was in the library again for another reason.  She came up to me and spoke to me about the book spine poems.  I told her I had wanted to try something new and loved the idea of the poems.  She said, "It was cool!  I had fun in the library."

     That made my day!  I hope you have a great day tomorrow, and every day, like I did today.

     Below are the book spine poems (even though a few groups used nonfiction books, too) that the class created.
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Flip, The White Bicycle, Every Other Day

Twisted, Halo, So Far From God

Believe it or Not, The Dead Hand, Blessed, The Book of Blood

The Diary (of Pelly D), Ghost Town, Fade Out

Willow, Last Days of Summer, Everybody Sees the Ants

No comments:

Post a Comment